2016年1月12日 星期二

[Week 1] 12012016_About automatic writing. About paper transformation.


✑ Scanned in-class work: Automatic writing

                      



<CLICK TO READ MORE>



✑ Follow-up Activities
1. ▼ Follow-up activities (take-home: notes on blog)
Turn the ‘object’ with textural features you came up with from your automatic writing into a potential object you’ll create. Write a work plan for your execution: size, volume, material, color sense, exactly where to place it, conditions of surroundings, steps of production.
    ▼ The list of "object" and textural features I came up with during the lesson  



"Chatting sound ➔ Sticky"
The talking sound of classmates overwhelmed over my ears and it did not leave for a long period. Therefore, it was just like a very sticky thing that you cannot get rid of quickly and time is needed for itself to disappear.

Since the feeling of sticky texture makes people associate with disgust and uncomfortable, I decided to make something about chatting sound in a negative way.



Execution plan

 Description: A smart sound sensor (modified from a smart vacuum cleaner) which can sense the chatting sound and hit the person's foot automatically and repeatedly until no chatting sound is detected. This machine is so "sticky" that it will annoy others unless no loud sound is found.

Where to put: The public library. People should keep quiet in the library so this object can act as a reminder.

Condition of surrounding: The floor should be flat.

Size: 28cm (diameter) x 5cm (height)

Volume: 3,920cm3

Materials: Smart Vacuum Cleaner, Arduino( Sound sensor)

Color sense: Mainly in red → Vivid color can make people pay attention on it  and a symbol of alert.
Black for the base → A good contrast color with red.

Steps of production:
 1. Dismantle the Smart Vacuum Cleaner.
2. Put the sound sensor into it and link to the command center of the cleaner.
3. Reassemble the cleaner and put on the library.

------------------- I am a separated line -------------------

2.  from the list of object that came into your mind in automatic writing 
Pick this strange, unfamiliar, obscure object and develop, place it at the centre of a mind map, and develop it into a world of rich details.Exercise your divergent and lateral thinking – think in multiple directions in terms of physical properties, free associations, stories springing out of the object, comparison, contrast, symbolic meanings etc. as divergently as possible.

    ▼ The list of objects came up my mind in the lesson

"Indian curry"
This is the most strangest thing I found as I have not seen or eaten this cuisine for many years.


    ▼ Mind map for the association I thought of related to "Indian curry"


Multiple directions of thinking:
☼ Physical properties, like the taste (hot, spicy), color (yellow) and materials used (Curcumu longa)...

☼ Free association, like it relates to Indian and food that requires curry.

☼ Stories springing out or some if-statement happens. For example, if people leave some stains on their clothes, the stain of Indian curry will be very difficult to remove

☼ Function, like using Indian curry as a punishment in a game


------------------- I am a separated line -------------------

3. from the object you want to get rid off, or doesn’t want to loose exercise: 
▼ Follow-up activities (take-home: make a photo image of this object in your possession, post it on blog with notes of potential treatment)You may be asked to bring this object to class.How would you present this object to us in ways that show your attitude (love, hate, disgust, madly attached...). Think of how your presentation of the object communicates a relation you define with the visitor/beholder.

    ▼ My possession -- my sketchbook


My sketchbook

Description:
I record all my emotions and interesting things through doodling in this book. It illustrates the deepest world and secret of myself. Even I forget browsing Facebook, I will not forget sketching. This is much precious than the valuable I have. 

Concept:
It shows my love in drawing and I am madly attached to creating things. I can let others know a lot of things, such as what makes me happy and what do I eat yesterday. Though visitors do not know myself (the beholder), I believe they can understand my passion by looking at the daily sketches I drew and my daily events, This is the best object I can show with a view to making a closer relationship with strangers.


------------------- I am a separated line -------------------


4. Work 1: free folding A self-expression.Talk about it to your group members. This work is about you. Name the work.  

Title: Blank 


Description: 
This a kid with no brain and curvy hairs. 

Concept:
I always daydream. I also enjoy the time when I do not need to think anything. Therefore, I shaped a stupid face of a kid and dug out the brain to represent myself. I also made some cracks at the back of the head by tearing the paper in order to emphasize the inborn curvy hairs I have.

------------------- I am a separated line -------------------

5. Work 2: 2D graphic and 3D formation
Title: Breakable

Concept: There is a transformation cycle between formation and break.

Description: Breaking the big pieces into small and put them into a large one again. I mostly used repetition, juxtaposition and scaling for changing the size and forming different individuals that look very similar.

1. 

I did not have any idea at first so I just used repetition to make something.  

2.

Finding the similar shapes of small and large pieces, the idea of breaking pieces came out.


 3.

 4.

5.

6.

The breaking pieces gathers and forms again.

7. 

 Negative space is emphasized in the final stage in order to show the pieces are connected again.

---

3D

8.

Repeated foldings.

9.

10.

11.

12.

13.

Started thinking of some shapes and scenes.

14.

Roses and half-human.

15.


Everything converges and forms eventually.


Reflection:
Though this exercise was difficult at first as I could not think of a story about the four simple shapes and the limitation also restricted my creation. However, when it came to actual practice, the brain started to make up some ideas and could have limitless combination after trials. 

This shows me the imagination of our brain is incredible. Ideas always come beyond our expectation. Therefore, I will try to have free association or brainstorming like this when I cannot have inspiration next time.
  

沒有留言:

張貼留言